Trials (Schedule Wizard)
PATH: Scheduling > Schedule Wizard > Trial Selection
Trials are created when a calendar is rolled over from a previous year, when the school uses the Schedule Wizard or when a new school and calendar is created during the implementation process. Trials connect the calendar to the course listing and are used in several scheduling reports.
Multiple trials can be created in the Schedule Wizard for various purposes. However, only one trial (active trial) can be seen by the web application at a time. The scheduling staff may wish to make a trial active at a given time to review the results in the application. Users will need to log out and log back into Campus to see the newly active trial.
Unused trials may be kept in the database or may be deleted.
New calendars that have just been rolled over will have a trial named Rolled In. This is the original trial that was created. It is recommended that this version be left as it is, to provide a beginning point for the user to see how classes were scheduled the previous year. And, in the case of a trial being made accidentally active, there will always be the original trial to reinstate.
The Trial editor lists all the schools within the district and their associated trials on the left-hand side and the properties of the selected trial on the right-hand side. The most recent year displays first (for example, 2018-19 school year displays above the 2017-18 school year).
Active Trial with Properties
Active school years and calendars display in bold text, as well as the active trial for the school and calendar.
A school may have a large amount of trials for any given year, making it time-consuming to open each folder for the school and selecting each trial and sub-trial for each one. To help with the viewing of trials, the list of available trial options for the selected school auto-expands.
Trial Properties include the name of trial, comments about the trial and when it was last modified. Terms that have been scheduled and should not be changed display in the Locked Terms section. A warning message appears when a user attempts to unlock a term. Unlocking a term after it has started (school is in session) causes loss of data (course information, grades, attendance data, etc.). Also available is an option for how to load student requests - just the requests the students entered through Course Registration or both student requested courses and already scheduled courses.
Checkboxes for all available terms display for the selected trial. Calendars may have up to 31 terms.
See the Schedule Wizard article for additional security and data precautions.
Making changes to an active trial through the Schedule Wizard after a term has started is not recommended. To prevent unforseen data loss and to prevent users from modifying course section data for current terms, terms can be locked for a trial here. Terms are automatically locked when an active trial is selected and changes can only be made to a locked terms if the checkboxes are removed.
Terms are locked when a trial is made active or when no additional changes are to be made to that term. Unlocking a term that is in progress causes data loss if sections are moved or requests are modified. When unlocking a term after that term has started, an error message displays. Click OK to acknowledge this message and assess the risk for the chosen school before proceeding. This message displays each time a term is unlocked.
Terms can be locked and unlocked (and saved) from the Trial Selection screen for future calendars when viewing an active trial for a current year calendar.
Unlock Terms Warning
Making section changes in the Campus application (on the active trial) and saving those changes in the Schedule Wizard causes an error and those changes may not be saved. When this happens, a message displays indicating some of those data changes may not have saved. Close and re-open the trial in the Schedule Wizard. As mentioned previously, make changes either in the Schedule Wizard or in the Campus Application.
To prevent users from accessing the same trial as another user, and potentially overwriting schedule changes made by that user, when a trial is selected by one user, all other users are prohibited from selecting that trial. On the Trial Selection screen, text displays indicating another user is currently in that trial. The locked trial can only be copied, creating another version of that trial.
If a trial is in locked status, the trial can be unlocked from the Scheduling Trials tab by and administrator.
Locked Trial Display
When the active trial is locked in the Schedule Wizard, other scheduling tools cannot be modified in that same calendar, to prohibit other changes from being made. A message displays indicating changes cannot be made until the trial is unlocked (saved).
Locked Trial Display on Scheduling Tools
This message displays for the following tools:
- Walk-In Scheduler
- Course Rules
- Course Sections
- Staff History
- Roster Setup
- Roster Batch Edit
- Student Gap Scheduler
- Schedule Gap Filler
- Scheduling Build Constraints
- Student Constraints
- Section Templates
- Request Wizard
Schedule Loading Options
Two options are available when determining which information will load in the Schedule Wizard. When opening a trial, users can select Load Student Requests and Scheduled Courses or Load Student Requests only. The default selection is the loading of both student requests and scheduled courses. This provides a better overall view of what the master schedule will be.
The Load Student Requests Only option can be selected to modify and review course section placement. Any sections manually placed or any students manually scheduled into a course section will not be represented in this type of load.
Schedule Loading Options
Copying trials allows a user to play with course placement, rules and constraints that can be added, and attempt to get a higher percentage of schedules full. When a trial is copied, the name of the trial becomes New Trial. Modify the name as needed for easy recognition.
A new trial (brand new, no courses) cannot be created as a trial is created with the creation of a calendar. That means there is always an original trial available.
- Select an existing trial from the left-hand side of the Trial editor. The name of the trial will appear on the right hand side in the Trial Properties area.
- Click the Copy button. This will copy the existing trial, including placed sections and courses, into a new version of the trial that can be changed as often as necessary, and the original version will remain intact.
- Change the Name of the new trial. Examples of often used names are the initials of the user and the date it was made or the name of the school, or what was done in that trial (Band Version 032305).
- Enter Comments about the trial.
- Click the Save icon when finished. The new trial will appear as a child of the parent trial.
Users should rename the copied trial to indicate the date the work was done or what step or major change was done in a particular trial.
Delete a Trial
- Select the Trial to be deleted. The name and any comments will display in the Trial Properties.
- Click the Delete icon. This will permanently delete the trial.
No warning message or validation appears when the Delete button is selected. Take care when performing this action.
Save a Trial
- Select the Trial to open. The name and any comments will display in the Trial Properties.
- Make changes to the Trial Name or Comments.
- Click the Save icon. This will update the details of the trial.
Saving a trial does not make it active. It just updates any changes made to it, including placement of courses and sections, etc. for use at a later time.
Make a Trial Active
When a trial is made active, the information stored in the Schedule Wizard is essentially copied to the Campus application. All information within that trial is available for use by all other staff at the school. Courses and sections placements, teacher schedules and student course schedules are updated for the calendar year in which the trial was activated.
- Select the existing trial that is to be made active from the list on the left. The name of the trial will appear on the right hand side in the Trial Properties area.
- Change the name of the trial. Examples of often used names are the initials of the user and the date it was made or the name of the school, or what was done in that trial (Band Version 032305).
- Click the Active button when finished. This will make the selected trial active and update the course layout that is viewable within the Campus application.
Changing which trial is active can only be done in the Schedule Wizard using the process outlined above. Trials are also viewable from the Scheduling module.
Select a new trial from within the White Board of the Schedule Wizard
- Navigate to the File menu and select the first option Select Trial.
- A new screen will display listing all available school calendars and trials.
- Follow the steps described in the section of this document called Selecting the Calendar and Trial.
To save each entry as an individual layer, use the Save Trial Load option on the File menu.
Choosing a Trial from the White Board
- Open the White Board to build the courses, load sections, generate reports or use the Course Planner or Staff Planner to build constraints.
- If all scheduling items have been completed and any additional changes will be made in the Campus application, mark the Trial active.