Enrollment Roll Forward
PATH: System Administration > Student > Enrollment Roll Forward
The Enrollment Roll Forward tool promotes students into the next year's calendar and grade. Districts will need to roll their calendars using the Calendar Wizard before using this tool.
The enrollment roll forward tool is used to create new enrollments for students in a future calendar for current students who do not have an end date on their current enrollment (actively enrolled).
Localized information on this tool is available for the following states:
For Enrollment Roll Forward to work properly, Grade Level sequences set on the school calendar must fall into one series district-wide.
Enrollment Roll Forward Wizard
Before using the Enrollment Roll Forward tool, verify calendars for the next or future school years have been created using the Calendar Wizard.
Enrollment Roll Forward Logic
A school or district can roll enrollments multiple times if necessary without having multiple enrollments created for students. Restrictions are in place to prohibit multiple users from using the tool at the same time. If User A clicks the Run Test or Run button, User B will see a message indicating enrollment roll forward is already in process when User B clicks the Run Test or Run button.
The following information applies to all districts:
- Only active local start statuses are available for selection.
- The new enrollment start date is the first instructional day in the calendar unless a date is specified.
- Only students without an End Date on their enrollment in the source calendar/grade will roll into a new calendar/grade unless the option to roll students whose end dates match the last day of the last term is selected. With that option, if an enrollment end date matches the last day of the last term in any term schedule, the student will roll. It is always best to roll students before ending their enrollments. Dropped students will not roll.
- If the destination calendar has multiple schedule structures with the same grades, the destination will have to be selected manually.
- Any students who have Future Enrollment information in their enrollment will be rolled directly into the calendar and grade specified. Use this to retain or demote students. These students will be excluded from any of the following logic.
- Sequence numbers must be assigned to all grade levels in all calendars. A student will be promoted to the next number in the sequence: Grade 09 with a sequence of 9 will be promoted to Grade 10 with a sequence of 10. Grade Levels with sequence 0 will be ignored. Students are assumed promoted unless flagged as retained or demoted on their enrollment. The tool will increment the grade sequence and look for next year's calendar in the same school.
- If a student needs to be promoted to a new building and the student's address contains a School Boundary mapping, the new building is selected from the mapping information. However, if a student is currently enrolled in High School A as a Sophomore, but lives in the boundaries for High School B, the Roll Forward tool creates an enrollment for High School A because the student is not being promoted to a new building. If the student was currently enrolled in Middle School A, and is moving into high school in the next school year, the Roll Forward tool would create an enrollment record at High School B.
- If the student does not meet any of the conditions above, they will not automatically roll forward without a destination calendar, structure, and grade selected. These include 0 sequenced grades and building promotion where multiple schools provide the promotion grade. These students should be rolled independently of a district-wide roll.
If Enable Student Assignment Validation is enabled (School Choice Functionality), the following exceptions to the processing rules above apply:
- Continuous programs - If the student is participating in a continuous program and the current school does not offer the next grade, rather than mapping the next school from the school boundary table, the processing will map the next school based on the program boundaries for the continuous program. If there is no mapping in the program boundaries that offers the next grade, then the student will roll using the school boundaries.
- Next grade level in same school - When student assignment is used, the roll forward will ensure that the student is within school boundaries. If the student has an override to attend the school for a program that requires program boundaries, the roll forward will also ensure that the student is within the program boundaries. If the student is outside program boundaries or school boundaries and does not have an override that would allow the enrollment, the student will be rolled into their next calendar using school boundaries processing.
- Promotion to new building based on School Boundary mapping - With student assignment, a student may have a cluster of schools within their school boundaries that all offer the same grade level, however one of those schools will be marked as the Resides school. The student is allowed to attend any of those schools that are within their boundary, however the Resides school will be the default when rolling along school boundary mappings.
- Destination Calendar and grade on the options page - Specifying a destination calendar/grade is only allowed for calendars and/or grades that do not require student assignment.
Tasks for Before and After Enrollment Roll Forward
Before Using the Enrollment Roll Forward Wizard
Create school calendars for the next school year using the Calendar Wizard.
Mark active students in the current calendar as Demote or Retain on their Enrollment Records for those students who will remain in the same grade level or will move to a lower grade level.
Verify students who have dropped enrollments for the current year have an end date on their Enrollment Records.
Ensure the Grade Levels have a sequence and are mapped to a State Grade Level.
After Using the Enrollment Roll Forward Wizard
Perform data clean-up using the Enrollment Clean-up Wizard for those students who may have been rolled forward without yet knowing what the next year's grade level will be by editing the new Enrollment Record and changing the grade level.
Use the Enrollment End Batch to process graduate information prior to ending all other student enrollment records.
Use the Enrollment End Batch tool to process all other enrollments for non-graduating grade levels.
Verify Courses have been created and/or rolled in the next year's Calendar.
Open Student Registration on the Display Options, allowing students to request desired courses for the next school year.
Use the Schedule Wizard to build course information and load student requests.
Enrollment Roll Forward Editor
The Enrollment Roll Forward editor lists Source information (existing information) on the left-hand side of the editor and future information on the right-hand side of the editor. The following defines the available options on the Enrollment Roll Forward Editor
When ninth grade enrollments are created, Graduation Cohort fields are auto-populated.
|Select Source Calendars||The Select Source Calendars lists all existing calendars. Select the calendars from which to collect enrollment information. Past school year calendars can also be chosen, however the risk of rolling students into an incorrect grade level is increased if this is done. More than one calendar can be selected at a time, but be aware that selecting all calendars for a school year may increase the completion time.|
|Select Source Grades|
Select the grade levels from the Source Calendar(s) to roll forward. These grade levels should be grade levels included in the Source Calendar selections. Grade levels should also be set up with a Sequence for proper rolling forward.
|Source Ad hoc Student Filter|
Instead of choosing grade levels from the source calendar, an Ad hoc filter can also be selected. This selection will only roll forward the students included in the filter if they meet the logic requirements above.
|Source Service Type||This option allows the user to select which enrollment types to roll - Primary, Partial or Special Education services. Enrollment Types are selected on the General Enrollment Editor. At least one service type must be selected.|
|Select Source Structure||Select the appropriate Source Structure from the current year calendar. This option is only valid if there is more than one Schedule Structure in the source calendar. The chosen structure should be the structure in which students are enrolled.|
|Select Local Start Status|
Select the Local Start Status for the new school year. This start status applies to all students whose enrollments are rolled forward.
Only active local start statuses are available for selection.
Select Destination Calendars
|Select the Calendar into which students will be enrolled. If multiple schools are selected in the Source Calendar list, those students are most likely not rolling into one destination calendar. When this option is left blank, students will roll into the appropriate school/calendar based on other selected options and roll forward logic. A Destination would only be selected if all students in the source calendar(s) will be attending the same calendar.|
|Select Destination Grade||Select the Grade Level into which students should be enrolled in the next school year. This is an optional selection as logic is available that will roll students sequentially into the next school year. Students marked as Retain or Demote will be rolled into the correct grade level.|
|Select Destination Structure||Select the Calendar structure for the new school year. This selection must be made even if there is only one schedule structure in the calendar.|
|Start Date Override||Enter the Start Date Override date in mmddyy format. If school days for the next school year have been finalized and Calendar Days have been set, this date does not have to be entered. If Calendar Days have not been set, enter the Start Date Override as the first instructional day of the next school year.|
Additional Roll Forward Checkboxes
The following defines the available checkboxes on the Roll Forward Editor.
Allow Duplicate Primary Enrollments
When selected, creates another enrollment for a student in a second calendar when there is an existing primary enrollment in the new calendar. If not selected, students will not have multiple primary enrollments created for them.
When selected, this option will only display the total amount of enrollments rolled forward in the results report.
When selected, warnings will be included on the results report.
Include students whose enrollments end on the last day of the last term
When selected, rolls forward students whose current enrollment end date is that of the last day of the last term. If multiple term schedules exist, the enrollment end date is compared to all term schedules and will roll if it matches any of the end dates.
Enrollment Roll Forward Checkboxes
Roll Student Enrollments Forward
- Select the Source Calendars from which to roll student enrollments.
- Select the Source Grades of the students being rolled forward.
- Select the Source Structure.
- Select the Local Start Status for students in the next school year.
- Select the Destination Calendar (optional) from the dropdown list into which the students will be enrolled for the next year.
- Select the Grade level (optional) for the students being rolled forward.
- Select the Destination Structure (optional).
- Enter the Start Date Override Date (optional only if dates are set up).
- Mark the Allow Duplicate Primary Enrollments, if desired.
- Mark the Totals Only checkbox, if desired.
- Mark the Show Warnings checkbox, if desired.
- Mark the Include students whose enrollments end on the last day of the last term checkbox, if desired.
- Use the Run Test button see the results of rolled enrollments to ensure proper selections were made.
- If satisfied with these results, click the Run button. Enrollments are rolled over into the new calendar and the Scheduling Process can begin.
If the System Preference for Boundary Warnings is selected and a Destination Calendar (school) is selected on the School Boundary tab on the Household Address, students will be rolled into the Destination Calendar if the address has a boundary set and the boundary is within the destination boundaries.
When testing enrollment roll forward using the Run Test button, a Test Results summary page displays, listing students who will be rolled forward into the next calendars if the Totals Only checkbox is not selected.
Enrollment Roll Forward - Test Results
If the option to roll students who enrollments end on the last day of the last term is selected, any students rolling who meet that criteria will have an asterisk following their name.
When rolling enrollments forward using the Run button, a Test Results summary page displays, listing the students who were rolled forward if the Totals Only checkbox is not selected.
Enrollment Roll Forward - Results