Enter a Student's Medication Information
PATH: Student Information > Health > Medications
The Medication Detail consists of two sets of information: Medication, Strength and Dosage Information and Prescription Information.
Medication, Strength and Dosage Information
The medication detail includes the name of the medication, strength, form, and dosage detail information.
Image 1: Medications Editor - Medication Entry
Medication Field Descriptions
Selection indicates the staff person who entered the medication. The default setting is the current user if the current user has an active Health District Assignment. Only staff with an Active district assignment and a Health checkmark on their District Assignments tab display in the dropdown.
Entered date (defaults to current date) indicates when the medication was given to the school.
Name of the medication that the student receives. Medication names must first be created in the Medication Name editor in System Administration > Health.
Format of the medication (cream, tablet, capsule, drops, etc.) Medication forms must first be created in the Medication Form editor in System Administration > Health.
Strength of one unit of the medication. For example, one pill is 200 mg, so the Strength is entered as 200 mg even if the prescribed dosage is 800 mg.
Amount per Dose
Total number of the medication given to the student for one dosage. If the prescribed dosage is 800 mg and one pill is 200 mg, the student will be given 4 pills in a dose. The Amount per Dose is entered as 4. In a situation where the prescribed dosage can vary (give 400-800 mg as needed), the smallest Amount per Dose should be entered.
The unit(s) of the medication dose, associated with the Amount per Dose. For example, if the prescribed dosage is 800 mg and the medication comes in 200 mg pills, the Dose Measurement would be "pills". Other measurements could be ml, puffs, or drops, depending on the form of the medication.
|Route||The route field is used to describe the route of administration for medication. Options available in this dropdown can be added or edited from the Attribute/Dictionary. This field remains editable until there is a value entered. Once a value is entered and saved, this field becomes read-only.|
|Status||The status field indicates the administration status or frequency of the medication. For example, a medication's status could be Daily, PRN, or Self-Administer. Options available in this dropdown can be added or edited from the Attribute/Dictionary.|
|Classification||The category of the medication. This is a read-only field and is set up in System Administration using the Medication Name tool.|
Total number of doses submitted, which is not necessarily the total number of units in the medication container. If the prescribed dosage is 800 mg (4 pills) and the medication is in 200 mg pills, a bottle containing 100 pills would be entered as 25 doses. In the situation where a dosage can vary (give 400-800 mg as needed), the smallest Amount per Dose should be used to calculate the number of doses submitted.
Number of remaining doses. This number is auto-calculated when the student receives a medication or if the medication count is reduced for some other reason, dropping by the number of doses given/reduced.
If the medication is an ongoing treatment and will need to be resupplied as the quantity runs out, enter a value in the Notification Threshold that provides a sufficient cushion as to allow the parent or guardian to bring in additional doses.
When the number of doses remaining for the medication has been reached, the medication entry will turn red on the list editor as a visual alert to the health staff to notify the parent or guardian that more doses are needed.
Enter Medication Information
- Click the New button at the top of the Medications tab. A Medication Detail editor will display.
- Indicate who is entering the medication record in the Recorded By dropdown list.
- The Date Submitted field will auto-populate with the current date. To change the date, enter the date in mmddyy format or click the calendar icon and select the date.
- Select the medication name from the Medication Name dropdown list.
- Select the medication form from the Medication Form dropdown list.
- Enter the Medication Strength amount.
- Enter the Amount Per Dose.
- Enter a Dose Measurement.
- Enter a Route.
- Select a Status.
- Enter the number of doses of medication provided to the school within the Doses Submitted field.
- If the medication is one that will need to be resupplied as the quantity runs out, enter a value in the Notification Threshold that provides a sufficient cushion as to allow the parent or guardian to bring in additional doses.
- Click Save when finished.
There may be a situation where the previous prescription is not completely used when the new prescription is given to the health office. When this occurs, the medication name will appear twice in the dropdown list.
The prescription details are entered after the details of the medication are entered.
Image 2: Medications Editor - Prescription Entry
Prescription Field Descriptions
The date the prescription was assigned. This date defaults to the current date, but can be changed by entering the date in mmddyy format or by clicking the calendar icon to enter a new date.
Prescription number assigned usually by the filling pharmacy.
Date the prescription expires, based on doctor information.
Name of the pharmacy that filled the prescription or name of the pharmacist.
Phone number of the pharmacy.
Name of the doctor who prescribed the medication.
Phone number of the doctor or clinic.
Directions for Use
Instructions for giving the medication.
Additional comments for the medication.
Created Date/Created By
Indicates when the medication entry was created and which user created it.
Modified Date/Modified By
Indicates the date the medication entry was modified and which user modified it.
Enter Prescription Details
- Enter an Rx Date.
- Enter the Rx Number of the prescription.
- Enter an Expiration Date for the prescription.
- Enter the Pharmacy Name of the location where the prescription was filled.
- Enter the Pharmacy Phone number.
- Enter the name of the Prescribing Doctor.
- Enter the Doctor Phone number.
- Enter any needed Directions for use.
- Click Save when finished.