OneRoster version 1.0 is being deprecated by IMS Global. Campus will not support issues with the 1.0 connection after 12/31/19. No action is required from districts at this time; vendors should have implemented or be working towards OneRoster version 1.1 or the upcoming 1.2. As vendors move to new versions, districts will need to provide the v1p1 or upcoming v1p2 API Base URLs.
Implementing OneRoster - Provisioning Connection
At the beginning of the school year, districts should not sync with vendors until student scheduling is finalized. Syncing prior to finalizing scheduling may cause incorrect data in the vendor system.
To implement a OneRoster Provisioning connection, a district must first verify that their third-party vendor conforms to the OneRoster API specifications, such as by being OneRoster certified, which indicates that the system can communicate through the OneRoster API.
If the third-party system meets these specifications, a Campus administrator would then use the OneRoster tool to create credentials for it. The administrator is responsible for communicating those credentials and URLs to the third-party, including the following information:
- The Consumer Key and Consumer Secret: the username and password the third-party program uses to access Campus. For the Key, make sure to share both the Campus-generated prefix and the district-defined portion.
- The API Host Name: the URL the third-party system uses to access Campus.
- The Rest Documentation Client: the documentation of the API, which the third-party or the administrator can use to review and verify data. See the REST Documentation Client article for more information about this tool.
- Performance recommendations to optimize the data sharing process.
Using those credentials and URLs, the external system can then make requests for data from Campus.
Once the third-party program has received this information, they can make requests using the API Host Name URL and the end points provided in that link.
Districts are responsible for ensuring that vendors conform to any recommended guidelines.
Implementing OneRoster - Grading Services Connection
Third-party vendors must be part of the Infinite Campus Digital Learning Partner Program to be available for a grading services connection, which verifies that the vendor meets the necessary technical and security requirements.
System administrators use the Grading Services tool to create credentials allowing the vendor to connect to their district's instance of Camps. The administrator is responsible for communicating those credentials and URLs to the vendor, including the following information:
- The Vendor Key and Vendor Secret: the username and password the third-party vendor uses to access Campus.
- The API Endpoint: the URL the third-party vendor uses to access Campus.
- The Rest Documentation Client: the documentation of the API, which the vendor or the administrator can use to review and verify data. See the REST Documentation Client article for more information about this tool.
Using those credentials and URLs, the vendor can request data from Campus and send assignment, score, and grade data back.
Note that Grading Services connections apply to a district as a whole. Data for the district is sent to the vendor, but the data sent back from the vendor is dependent on the vendor's setup. For example, data for all schools may sync to the vendor, but if the vendor only sends data back for one school, only those teachers (who also have accounts in the vendor program) will receive synced data. Districts may exclude data from being sent to vendors on a school-by-school basis using the External LMS Exclude checkbox on the School tab.
Comparing Data in Campus and OneRoster
Because Campus and OneRoster store data differently, elements in Campus are mapped to elements in OneRoster. The following table describes mappings that are not self-evident.
|OneRoster Element||Campus Equivalent|
|Academic Session||Term Schedules for a school Calendar.|
Students - Roster records
Teachers - Section Staff History records
|Line Item||Standard/Task + Term + Section|
|Org||District & School|
|Result||Grading Score (including comments)|
To be included in OneRoster, users must have user accounts.
External LMS Exclude Hierarchy
Throughout Campus, records can be excluded from being sent to an External LMS through this API. Marking the External LMS Exclude checkbox indicates that records are not relevant to the LMS. The following types of records can be excluded:
- System Administration > Resources > School
- System Administration > Calendar > Calendar > Calendar, Grade Levels, Schedule Structures
- Scheduling > Courses > Course, Section
- Student Information > General > Enrollments
- Grading & Standards > Course Master > Course Master Info
- Census > People > District Assignments
- Grading & Standards > Grading Tasks, Standards Bank
Marking this checkbox for a record also applies to records below it in the hierarchy. For example, marking Exclude for a Course also excludes all Sections within that Course, although the checkbox is not automatically marked on each Section. The hierarchy is as follows:
- Schedule Structure
- Grade Level
- Course Master
- District Assignment
- Grading Task/Standard
- OneRoster (Provisioning Connection)
- Grading Services (OneRoster)
- OneRoster API Consumer Guidelines
- REST Documentation Client