POS Terminal Setup (Application Manager)
PATH: Point of Sale > Administration > Application Manager
Food Service administrators can create new applications and services at any time. Refer to the Point of Sale Best Practices article for detailed setup of the Application Manager.
The application (the name of the school) for the POS service needs to be created before the Services (POS menu layouts) can be created.
Creating a New Application
- From the Application Manager, select the New Application icon. The Application Detail screen will appear to the right of the Application Tree.
- Enter a Name for the application.
If desired, check the box to have system warnings appear in the Reminder Enable checkbox. This box will turn the reminder levels on for all students in the selected school if the reminder checkbox and reminder levels have been set for the student on the student account.
Be aware that setting this will cause the cashier to have an extra step by clicking the pop-up box on the POS screen.
- Click the Save icon when finished. The new application will be listed in the Application Tree in alphabetical order.
Once the application is created, services can be attached to that application.
- From the Application Manager, select the Application for which to assign services from the Application Tree.
- Select the New Services icon. A Service Detail table will appear.
- Enter the Name of the service.
- Select the Serving Period.
- If desired, enter a Description of the service.
- Select the appropriate schools using this service from the list of schools. Multiple schools can be selected by using the CTRL and SHIFT keys.
- Click the Save icon when finished. The new service will be listed under the Application to which it is assigned in the Application Tree.
- Repeat this process for as many services or menu tabs there are for the application.
The menu is not based on rotating menus. This is the menu for ALL items that will be served.
Only Serving Periods marked Active within the Attribute Dictionary are allowed to be assigned to services. If you inactivate a Serving Period, you must complete the following tasks:
- Reselect an active Serving Period for all Services assigned to the inactive Serving Period.
- Reload POS data and reboot the POS to remove the Serving Period from appearing on the POS for use by a cashier during login.
- Do NOT inactivate a Serving Period during school hours when meals are being served or during the school year.
After creating the application and all desired services, the Service Layout can be viewed and adjusted as necessary.
Creating Service Layouts for POS Terminals
The Service Layout provides a way to customize what the POS terminal screen will look like as the students go through the lunch line. Users can increase and decrease the size of the graphic, add color and change the font type and size.
When creating a new Service Layout, it is best to organize the layout on paper before it is entered as the Service Layout.
Accessing the Service Layout
- Select the Service from the Application Manager screen. This is the only way the icon will be viewable in the service layout.
- Select the Service Layout icon. A new window will open. Two tabs are available: Item Style and Item Color.
- To change the appearance of a menu item, first select the item from the layout view.
This option uses a Java applet to open. It is best to have the Java application already downloaded on the local machine (go to http://java.com).
Defining Item Styles
- Select the desired item from the dropdown list.
- To change the Width of the item, use the Decrease and Increase buttons.
- To change the Height of the item, use the Decrease and Increase buttons.
- To change the Font Type, select the desired option from the dropdown list. These fonts are available from the Java applet.
- To change the Font Size, use the Decrease and Increase buttons.
- To display the text in bold or italics, use the B or I buttons.
Defining Item Colors
- To change the color of the text, select the Foreground radio button and selection the desired color from the matrix.
- To change the background color of the item, select the Background radio button and select the desired color from the matrix.
- The Recent Colors grid will list the colors that have been most recently used.
- Click the Save button on the Item Style tab to save any modifications.
To quit using the Service Layout feature, click the Quit button on the Item Style tab.